Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My First Attempt to Cook Seriously

My mom is a great cook. My younger sister also has a talent in whipping any kind of dishes, particularly in baking homemade cookies. On the other hand, I considered myself as one of the worst cooks in the world. I tried to cook twice or thrice during my teen days and it ended up as a kitchen disaster. I recalled frying hotdog without removing its plastic (because I thought it’s similar to longganisa) and cooking gelatin that never formed. Due to those incidents, I promised to myself that I’ll never cook again.

I never thought that I’ll break that promise when I met my very loving boyfriend who really loves to eat and whose mom is also an excellent cook. He inspired me to learn how to cook and that’s one of my goals this year. So with the help of easy-to-follow recipe books and cooking blogs on the Internet, I’m now ready to start my cooking adventures! Here is the first ever recipe that I decided to make.

Tuna Sandwich
adapted from Nestle Philippines Recipe

Preparation Time: 00:05

Cooking Time: 00:05
Servings: 6


Ingredients:

1 cup CARNATION Evap
1 cup water
2 tbsp flour
200 g tuna flakes (drained)
1 tbsp butter
4 tbsp pickle relish
salt and pepper to taste


Procedures:

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan or kawali.
2. Cook stirring constantly until th
ick. Cool and use as filling for bread and crackers.



Note: I didn’t include the pickles because I don’t like its taste. I also made the flour 3 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp because after stirring for a few minutes I noticed that the mixture didn’t thicken.


Verdict: My first ever attempt to cook seriously is a success! I used the filling on toasted bread and it tastes like tuna carbonara sauce on bread. It’s yummy :-) My mom and my sister also like it and they finished everything. By the way, pardon me for the low quality of my photos, they are just taken using my cellphone camera. I can’t wait for my next recipe :P


2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Yup, there's a lot of us out there and yes I am an IBS diarrhea sufferer, although it's been a lot better in that department since I went vegetarian. It hasn't done anything for the pain or surprise moments that come with IBS though, sigh.

Yes, I have a major toilet obsession, not just that but also a phobia, I'm so paranoid that I will have to use a public restroom it sometimes dominates my thoughts!

You're very much not alone, if you ever want to chat feel free to email me (vegetation@live.com).

Hello Green Beauty said...

Hi vegetation! Thanks also for visiting and leaving a message in my blog =) I'll add your blog in my favorite blog list and I'll definitely visit your blog more often.